Tuesday 1 May, 2007

CORPORATE- The Movie


Those of you, who go crazy about Madhur Bhandarkar’s movies, would feel like banging your heads on the wall after watching CORPORATE. It is the noted director’s gibe at the Indian corporate culture. A tad bit of fact and a plethora of fiction combined, CORPORATE can be called at best, a khichdi of the good, bad and ugly sides of the corporate sector.

The film showcases the rivalry between two corporate houses, the Sehgal Group and the Marwah Group. It centres on Nishigandha Dasgupta (played unconvincingly by “aamader meye”, Bipasha Basu), a young, ambitious career-woman who has high-profile achievements under her belt. She is beautiful, educated and a successful woman who has reached the top by dint of hard work. She is the role-model of many young women who try to walk in her shoes. But how far is she practical in her professional life? Pathetically impractical! Her degree of commitment to work can be gauged from the fact that she muses about screwing her boyfriend while attending a high-level board meeting!

And her boyfriend is an earthy male named Riteish (played with venom by Kay Kay Menon), who is the brother-in-law of her boss (Oops! Did I tell you that she works for the Sehgal Group?). This man has a noble heart and a helpful nature, but he lacks business acumen. He is blessed with the Midas’ Touch—whichever company he handles turns bankrupt! Yes, you have got it right: he is a failed businessman.

Nishi and Riteish make a perfect couple, for they both are emotional fools of the highest order. Nishi plays the modern day version of a Sati-Savitri: who will give her everything for the sake of her man, even the credit of a path-breaking report she sedulously prepares. But hey, don’t under-estimate this girl! She also uses sex to lure a rival honcho to extract professional secrets from him. Riteish is also a perfect maryada-purushottam, for he cares two hoots about his brother-in-law’s reputation when it comes to protecting his girl from harm.


The film is also tells perfectly how a greedy, unprincipled and lecherous man is always likely to be a politician. Don’t believe me? Go and check out the character of Gulab Rao Ingle, a wily customer…err…minister. And you will also get to know how a rich man can make astronomical profits in business by holding the padukas of a spiritual guru.

The film flaunts a lot of weak points. There are some unnecessary scenes in the movie. The “Sikandar” song by Kailash Kher was out of place in the movie, and the cameo by Payal Rohatgi did not go with the story. The love-making scene between Kay Kay and Bipasha really made me uncomfortable. I was expecting a bold performance by the Bongshell. But she disappointed me! All throughout the scene, she closed her eyes, with an expression that read, “Hey, take this brute away from me! Why is he doing it too much?” I guess she was not comfortable with Kay Kay (since John Abraham is her man). Madhur bhai, I hope you were following her expression during the shoot! You have a penchant for making stuff appear real, but you should understand that the realistic portrayal sometimes brings in the real emotions in the actors. I am now convinced that Bipasha didi is a real-life Sati-Savitri (Dino Morea was only a Ravan).

Nevertheless, the film has got a star-studded cast. Kay Kay Menon is fabulous. Harsh Chhaya as Naveen Shroff convincingly plays the role of an ethical businessman who is not willing to sacrifice his principles for profit. Rajat Kapur as Anil Sehgal and Raj Babbar as Deepak Marwah, play their characters with a vengeance. Minissha Lamba and Lilette Dubey play side-roles in the movie (I feel they could have been utilized more in the film).

A spectre is haunting India: the spectre of corporatism, my friends. Watch this movie to be haunted!

14 comments:

rikimi said...

well said..our old khudawand back to the form...i am proud of u.

Satyakam said...

A critical view of the review:

The negatives first:

1. I go crazy over Madhur Bhandarkar's movies and I did not feel like banging my head on the wall. So it would be advisable not to make generalised comments for one and all. :)

2. You started the review in a negative way, but the last line in the first paragraph speaks of khichdi which may/may not be tasty. :)

3. Bipasha Basu got several nominations for her role in Coorporate and you call it unconvincing. Hard to digest even though its your personal opinion.

4. A succesful woman who reached heights by virtue of her hard work is pathetically impractical in her professional life. :o Am I reading it wrong?

5. Emotional fools of the highest order qualify to be a perfect couple. Din't I read between the line? :O

6. The love-making scene, like most of your posts, is unnecessarily stretched.

7. You missed out on many points. A reviewer generally writes what he liked and disliked in the movie. You disliked the love making scene and you went miles thrashing it. Good points like the realistic ending of the movie, cola politics, everything should have been brought.

My personal views only. I mean a reader's views.

The positives:

Hey... Am I crazy??? I am here for pointing out negatives only.. :))

Lord Mani said...

@ Satyakam: Thanks for your comments! I would like to address the issues raised by you one by one (if you would allow me).

1. My take on the movie would essentially have my point of view. The purpose of a blog is to make your voice heard in the public. Therefore, my comments are not generalised comments, they are my own!

2. Khichdi is a mix...something that you make when you don't have anything else to do...you mix everything and see if anything good comes out of it. That's why I said that "at best" it can be called a khichdi. That's the only good thing I have to say about the movie. I hope you got that! ;-)

3. Getting nominated for an award is no certificate of excellence. Great actors like Aamir Khan rarely end up with awards. Sometimes, they don't even get nominations. There is so much lobbying for awards in the industry. Therefore, I don't think I have mady any wrong statements here. If you cannot digest it, then try Hajmola!

4. You have read it correct! That's the irony of her character. An emotionally impractical woman cannot really survive in such a competitive and combative environment. Her character is not balanced in the movie and that is the flaw in the film. Are you getting it now?

5. You missed the sarcasm there. It was Raam's way of saying "birds of the same feather flock together".

6. That's the point! The love-making scene is awkward yet long. In a high-end board meeting, you don't really get too much time to think about long-drawn sexual encounters. Bipasha looks pathetic in the scene, like it or not.

7. If I write everything about the plot, why will the readers watch the movie? Some things should be left for the audience.

Again, if I review it like the others, why will you read my blog?

Lord Mani said...

And when you said critical, I thought you would also write positive comments (since a critical review sees both the positive and negative aspects of something). But I got only the negative comments. Now, can I say that "you missed many points"? :-)

Lord Mani said...

@ Rikimi: Thanks pal!

Yazir's Life said...

good one...but regarding performance bipasa is upto the mark....kay kay menon is a good actor who is wasting his worth in bollywood....this NSD graduate is a absolute joy to watch in the stage....have u seen him performing in siri fort audi along with pankaj kapoor and zohra sehgal....oohhh...spellbounding!!!!rajat kapoor is a nice actor but never understood his talent...by the way a nice read indeed....

Satyakam said...

Some points taken--some not. I am your reader. I have choice of reading reviews. If I do not connect to you I would go for some other reviewer. I am free to do so. The views may be yours but those are read by many. I always think a review should be impartial, which you have done to a certain extent. To call a spade a spade is sometimes dangerous in a review. Your blog needs to be read. Your magazine needs to get sold. So finding a midway between extremes is advisable. To be true, a bit of cohenrency was missed in th review. Also references to other movies/stories of Madhur/Bipasha/KayKay where they showed traces of similar character with perfection, could have been done.
Now, I know you will refute, as you did for most of my points. But try to be a bit more accomodative. Ultimate we, readers, make you or thrash you. :)

Satyakam said...

Do you want me to refute most of your points?

Lord Mani said...

@ Satyakam: I don't see any harm in calling a spade a spade. I like to be ruthless while writing, in the same way as you are being ruthless with me! And when it comes to connections, I can very well connect the "spade" to the spade in a pack of cards. But sometimes being so intellectual doesn't help. If people can't understand me, they won't like me at all. But if they can connect with the stuff that I write, at least they will have something to bash me up. Wat say!

Lord Mani said...

@ Yazir: Thanks bro for your comments! I haven't seen his plays. Feel free to enlighten me about his plays!

Lord Mani said...

By the way, Satyakam, you can continue trashing my review!

Satyakam said...

I know you do not want your review to be thrashed further. And I will fulfill your wish. All I would say your points did not seem to be at all convincing. Be careful later. Or I would not have any other option than thrashing. ;)

Anonymous said...

Spectre of corporatism is haunting India... is it really so???
Well i feel a lot of things have been exaggerated in the movie, and do not atall comply the least with the present scenario.
But may be in near future, things would turn out to be like that!
ans yet again Dad i find your review coooolllll!
keep it up!

rikimi said...

i will kill you if you ever write any film review with so much detail...i was planning to watch it...thanx for saving my miney...